Thanks to the reader who noted this in the comments section of a previous post. I have railed on the Census Bureau for a while now about how easy it is for scammers or other individuals to find 2010 Census paraphernalia because the Census Bureau didn’t use proper identifying information for its employees:
Posts Tagged ‘ID badge’
HOUSTON—A man was killed and his family members beaten after three suspects barged into a north Houston home Saturday afternoon, police said.
Investigators said one of the suspects pretended to be a census worker to gain entry into the house, located in the 400 block of Truman.
Family members said the victim’s son opened the door for the suspects, believing they were with the census.
Larry Johnson Jr., the nephew of the victim, said the suspects tied up and beat his cousin and aunt after barging into to the home.
Johnson said his uncle, Reginald “Pete” Haynes, walked in on the crime and was ambushed.
“They tied him up and stabbed him and tried to submerge him in water,” Johnson said.
Haynes later died at the hospital.
Family members said the men ransacked the house for two hours.
“They were looking for money and my aunt gave them everything that they had and it wasn’t enough for them,” Johnson said.
Neighbor Randell Harmon said he even watched the suspects leave after the crime and had no idea what had happened.
“I saw three gentlemen walk out and I didn’t think anything of it,” Harmon said. “They didn’t look at me. They got in the truck and they left.”
The incident left people in the community fearful about who might come knocking at their door.
“They’ve taken something precious from us,” Johnson said. “They really have.”
Neighbors said census-takers started working their street weeks ago.
According to HPD, the suspect who claimed to be a census worker showed no ID badge. Investigators said they don’t have a good description of any of the suspects.
There must be some major discontent against the Census Bureau in Maine, as Census Bureau employees faced angry citizens on at least two occasions in recent days. (If you know of other incidents of assault or abuse against Census Bureau employees, please do not hesitate to let us know.) The following comes from the Maine Public Broadcasting Network:
Gov. John Baldacci today is encouraging Mainers to fill out and mail back their 2010 Census forms, as authorities look into the alleged assaults last week of two Census workers in the state.
Authorities told the Bangor Daily News that Wesley Storer, 61, of Bar Harbor is facing criminal retraint, assault and theft charges after tearing the ID badge off a 50-year-old female U.S. Census worker last Monday at an apartment building he owns in Harrington.
Storer then blocked the woman from leaving the building, Washington County Sheriff Department officials told the paper. Officials say Storer was intoxicated.
On Friday, a Brooksville man was charged with simple assault after he allegedly grabbed and pushed a 39-year-old female census worker who knocked on his door. Authorities say James Swift, 53, grabbed and pushed the woman after she tried to leave census papers on his doorknob. The worker did not require medical attention, the paper reports.
U.S. Census workers are currently gathering information for the once-in-a-decade survey of population trends. The incidents have prompted a warning to Census staff. “It has not changed protocol for us, but we have reiterated to our staff to use extreme caution,” says Terry Drake, the local census office manager based in Augusta.
Drake’s office is still hiring workers, and it’s too early to say whether the assaults will affect recruiting. Drake says that the two workers who were assaulted are still on the job.