It has been 39 days since Robert M. Groves’ U.S. Senate confirmation hearing, yet one anonymous GOP senator has held up his confirmation. As I have previously stated, if said GOP senator has good reason to hold up the hearing, then explain your reasoning to the public (or your own colleagues at the very least). If said GOP senator is taking this action to stall the confirmation for political gain, this is a terrible detriment to the American people at a critical time for the Census Bureau. I am shocked that the mainstream media has not reported on this delay for the past two weeks. It is a travesty that this lack of transparency and accountability is allowed to take place. MyTwoCensus calls on anyone with information as to which senator has caused this delay to please contact us.
Posts Tagged ‘Senator Carper’
Mark your calendars, because on Monday we will be live-blogging from The National Constitution Center in Philadelphia at an event that is sponsored by Senator Tom Carper (D) of Delaware, who chairs the Senate Subcommittee on Federal Financial Management, Government Information, Federal Services and International Security that is responsible for the 2010 Census. If you have any questions that you would like us to ask on your behalf, please submit them to mytwocensus @ mytwocensus.com. Here are the event details:
WHAT: “Making the Census Count in Urban America”
WHEN: Monday, May 11, 2009, at 1:00 p.m.
WHERE: The National Constitution Center, Philadelphia
525 Arch Street
– Tom Mesenbourg, Acting Census Director
– Camille Cates Barnett, Managing Director, City of Philadelphia
– Hon. Michael Nutter, Philadelphia Mayor
– Hon. James Baker, Wilmington Mayor
– Pat Coulter, Executive Director, Philadelphia Urban League
– Norman Bristol-Colon, Executive Director, Governor’s Advisory Commission on Latino Affairs, State of Pennsylvania
– Wanda M. Lopez, Executive Director, Governor’s Advisory Council on Hispanic Affairs, State of Delaware